Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Rock painting

2005

Here, in the cave, I struggle to take care of the offspring;
You expect me to feed them on your ‘wild’ chicken wing?

Rubbish. You tether them to a nearby tree.
Two minutes to get their meat. Don’t lie to me.

Get out, you lazy man, and find food we can eat.
Get us fresh ostrich eggs, gazelle, or zebra meat.
I want something tender, I can chew.

We are sick of eating leaf, nut, and root pâté.
You call that an excuse? You keep chipping away.
I hope a cheetah will eat you.

Other men get out and hunt. You spend your time tainting
the home with foolish matchstick-men painting.
It’s horrible, kitsch.

You think art on a rock can bring food on the plate?
Get out; get food, before I use your ear for bait.
You’re horrible, bitch.

It’s Africa, you fool; of course it’s hot. Then wait for the rain.
I told you to get a place in the highlands. You have no brain.
I don’t have enough money.

Even a mother hyena gets to eat meat and bone marrow.
They manage to get it without a bow and arrow.
Get us some fresh honey.

No, I won’t. I require it here. You make your own knife.
None of the other men would dream of asking their wife.
How can you think you are a man? You think you are an artist? You are so weak.

Other husbands bring food. Where is mine?
Go and get. Or I’ll throw you to the porcupine.
How can you think you are a woman? I hope you get caught in the vulture’s beak.

You can’t. Animals are too alert to be caught in a trap.
You would not recall where they were; you can’t read a map.

That’s not important. I can watch the sky at night.
The fool thinks he is a Polynesian. His brain’s not right.

You cannot be serious; that would be cheating.
They are our neighbours. What would the family be eating?

No, you go out, like a man, and get me something to eat.
No, a lion won’t bother you. You’re too thin, no meat.

The woman goes on as if she were in a market place.
With one like this, there’s no future for the human race.

Are you muttering about your problems again?
Nothing, light of the grasslands and foothills, just thinking about when it will rain.

Get out, useless fellow. Take that and your paintbrush too.
You might become famous? Next time people are going to know about you?