Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The end of the time of my acceptance

Exploring with Psyche, I wondered, then wandered like a lost seafarer on the ocean of infinity; wondering this and that, would awareness of life mean much to me? I take Psyche’s hand; put my arm around her waist, her skin and perfume were warm, and chaste. A pure human being, innocent of a child’s statistics in the textbook, knowing nothing of the geometry of existence, or where the physics of knowledge is going. We walk on to the park, where we kiss under a soft willow tree, Thoughts of a time long, long ago return, now. The branches hanging like teenage girls’ hair, scruffy, tatty, in need of a comb. the smell of an unopened-window student bedroom on a Sunday morning, the cool air at peace out, the weak sun’s rays trying to hitch a ride to the equator; back home, the pathos of the amateur hung-over footballers adding to the desolate, misery. Bare, wet, grey roofs of the town wait in a line, unmoving in their bleakness, boring the coast The odd chimney forcing out a thin plume of insipid smoke, trying in unseen poise to brave its way into the troposphere, before joining the enemy, for breakfast of tea and toast. The ageing abattoir, resting in quiet thought, alone without blood and noise, waiting to notice its name go away. Oh Psyche, I murmured to her, why are you strong, and I so weak? Why are we in love in a world of self-immolating anguish? Can it be true? She answered with a stroke of my hair, and a thirsty kiss on my rough cheek. It might be the way, she whispered to the night that was just opening, wanting to accrue in warm mystery. Come, we swim; a command I could not refuse, although beginning to shake, in the way of a fulcrum of butterfly wing; a cold algae-thick pond in autumn is not what most might choose to get an evening under way. But the point of thrust would warm and bring excitement and joy. Just like wary, nocturnal animals unsure of their habitat, a few students emerge, to get a Sunday newspaper, knowledge for next week’s lecture, and the coffee bar chat and lounge, on cheap couch, the first-years just coping with the urge to touch manicured hair and torn jeans, smoking cheap imported low tar. 

A bird flew by; it didn’t stop, 
preferring to go on to the café around the corner, 
no doubt to get some evening scraps from a well-meaning jazz fan 
in a roll-neck pullover, worn and pale, 
with an unkempt beard, puffing on a Balkan Sobranie pipe, 
grinning, yet woozy, but pretending to enjoy it, 
nodding in mock I-haven’t-a-clue manner, sipping Real Ale, 
thinking of a fine dining bottle, but keeping up the pretence of a working man, 
using hand and tool, 
but with Daddy’s investments in a quiet Jersey/Guernsey bank account, 
far away from probing Labour Party members’ eyes, 
perusing the micro-columns of who has what, where and why, 
curious to know the exact amount. 

I had met them before, in many places; 
watching them, trying to be what they thought was the in-thing, one of the boys, 
but in secret hating their unsuccessful role, 
and wishing Mummy’s cooking could be discussed in honesty in polite society, 
without the fear and worry of ridicule and scorn, loathing their ingratiating. 

I looked at Psyche, 
and in her eyes I knew she was on the same track, 
despising the champagne-manicured Oxbridge-type crowd, 
wrought bitter at themselves and the life that had provided for them, 
now a rack of guilt; that they had in youth taken without societal thought, 
and now, wretched in their self-imposed ignorance and solitude, bitter and mean, 
pretending that soggy fish and chips and insipid watery greasy café tea 
beats, hands down, a country three-star Michelin inn with French cuisine; 
a bondage of hate in their vacuous, high salary insecurity. 

Poison crust of secreting yellow cut, 
scum of the earth, you stink of rank discomposure, 
fidgeting with your old school tie, 
touching the corporate hospitality ticket for the Harlequins rebirth, 
a wretch, cheering in unashamed ignorance of strip, when Wasps score a try, 
waiting to notice your name go away. 

Psyche held me close; 
I responded, transmitting a thought of love; through the thin summer dress I could feel the warmth of her body, knowing that she felt for me in the same way. 
Others had told me it was true. 
We went on; the two of us, in lonely effervescent transhumance, 
going like a hot spring, an underground thermal warfare ready to burst into 
a cloud of vaporising steam, 
imitating Julius Caesar in a quenching tear the knife out, in March, in a bloody, power grab of thirst, the extreme cretinism of those foolish enough to go near. Ah, I thought; I love you, I love being with you. 

You, the treatment of nagging torment, the rectifier of trouble, 
the solution to the solvent of life’s misery. 

A young precious thing rode by on a bicycle, 
the long hair and jeans confusing us; 
I garnered my strength, and ran in hot pursuit, 
grabbing, tearing the person from the bicycle without fear, attention, or care. 

She screamed, and I apologised; it was Aphrodite Hesperia, rather cute but earnest, 
from ‘the Earth’, she told everyone; a student in a nearby college, 
known for its collection of Australian postgraduate students; 
socio-linguistics, estate management, town housing in Brittany in the fourteenth century, 
the entrance no-coin accepting phone. 

A case in point - roommate’s family, the husband, an adulterer, a self-made clown, owner of a car-rental business, a genuine (rabbit pie, no bone) mock pub, skip for hire that has, amongst other highlights of its existence, had rented out cars to a) a former well-known pop singer, now in prison, downloading entire you-know-the-kind-of-pictures, waiting to get the ten years or so through; 
 b) the co-pilot of the last commercial Concord to somewhere the Independent readers had coughed up a thousand or two for a day trip to Athens (?), chatting through champagne-salmon thin air. 

The latter hirer had crashed into a lamppost, 
but the owner had brushed through the damage with a nonchalant 
'it’s my pleasure, my boy. Hotel-Oscar-Mike-Echo-Romeo, copy, roger, copy that…' 

The young girl accepted my apologies, and mounted; then, 
with a coy casual after-thought murmured, ‘we’re playing Kerchengratt, Philby-Blunt, Xanekracon, Puellastramora, and Zygmonaski. It’s really fun. Why don’t you come and join me?’ 
With that, she cycled off, the rear wheel showing a slight quake, the result of the fire-hydrant, with the groan of the antique brake. 

I half-laughed; if she wasn’t so young, (twenty-one, twenty-two, I would bet,)
I would have gone off, and left Psyche - she wouldn’t have objected, I think - for an hour or two. 

The Xanekracon would be the Octet for harp, two sopranos, percussion, and string quartet. 
It had ten movements, each with a different time and key signature; that much I knew. 
I had last heard it in the departure lounge of a forgotten airport, sipping a beer, 
watching third-world refugees trying to look sophisticated and rich, 
on par with the hoi-polloi of an inner city, 
the fake politeness of an airport trying to appear; 

but at the same time, thinking what riff-raff, 
a dirty unwashed throng they are. 

I had thought at the time it - the Octet - had blended well, in a way 
it seemed to me; the aircraft taking off, fleeing the opus, the quartet’s chromatic scales playing their part of airport chaos. The words were from a poem - the title escapes me - by Harako Mikakumari. Foolish girl, - Aphrodite, not Harako - I thought. 
What do you know about life, people, and art? 

I returned, both to reality, a hard thing, and, with hands in my pockets, to Psyche, 
who waiting by a non-working lamppost, reading a notice she had, I think, 
torn from the Bursar’s office a few metres away, 
promoting an oriental blond-hair pop group new to the west; 
I held on, Psyche returning the emotion; 
I watched being born the affection that I had sought for many years, 
but had not caught 
I love you, I whispered into her ear, brushing away the hair, trying to explore the woollen hat, and the earring that she had, in Joshua Taylor, just bought. 
Je t’adore, je t’adore, je t’adore, je t’adore, je t’adore. 

The Professor of Ancient Languages walked by, stopped for a moment, and muttered, ‘Learn a real language, young man.’ (It was years later that I found out what she had meant.) 

I clutched, taken aback a little, my empty soft-drink can. 
The Professor looked long and hard at Psyche, and then spoke in a soft way. 

You are a disgrace to feminism, and to Gender Geography. Your beauty is nothing to that of the founding sisters; theirs was bespoke, to play against the emotions of men, and their self-centred European biography. 

Psyche just listened, in amusement; but then, in a split second, turned on her, and launched a brutal tirade against the unexciting specimen of academia; then without warning, a heap of obscenities begin to flow from her mouth, things I hadn’t heard before, 
a hatchet of hatred for the woman, 
now cowering, licking cheap pink lipstick lips in nervous, taken-aback fashion; 

I watch in awe, as Psyche ends with a spit that would have graced a cobra; 
the academic accumulation of a feminist, stuck by oral lightning; 
then, in recovering incompetence, 
trying to make light (try Edison, Ohm, Volt, you bitch) of the embarrassment and humiliation, 
in front of a small group of bystanders, 
reeking of beer-fuel cretinism and incontinence, 
none of whom knew the Professor, nor understood a word of Psyche’s harangue, 
yet were laughing in the way that students do, even when they don’t get it, maybe. 

The Professor wiped her jaw with a filthy-looking college scarf, drew on her cigarette, 
watching the broken pavement, sipping her polystyrene air-cool tea, 
walking slow, hunched, a thrashing of a warped pre-Renaissance and germane play. 

Psyche held tight on to me, in the way cling-film might hug a plate of cut pineapple,
the end of the time of my acceptance, with me alone now, 
trying to grapple with the way I might end this night, 
the buildings now a cool, unwelcome grey, 
waiting to notice our name go away.