Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A trick by the rear

13 January 2008

He mentioned the trick at dinner; at that time, my thinking
relaxing in geographical meandering in warm air.

By tomorrow, I won’t know it, I think, but you?

Henry came in; ‘I want to show you a trick.’
He tore the paper into many bits, crunching
in his fist, causing, it seemed to me, total mayhem;

with a snapping of a central finger and thumb,
then proceeded to pull out paper in measuring care;
I’m thinking, in intelligent way, they had to come out bit by bit,

but to my amazement, the paper emerging without harm,
apart from grimy wrinkle of battering; the torn bits? There,
now in front of me, were none, I asked about the act; a refusal came.

my interest increasing now, ha, I’ll try myself, following the
exact procedure. I pulled the bits out - yes, bits - one by one…
why could he do it, when I, of experience and age, was unable?

to myself, although it is very simple to grasp, even for me,
relaxing in geographical meandering in warm air.

By tomorrow, you won’t know it, I think, but me?

He told me; that, I shall keep.