Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Top notch poem, boyo

I walked out of my ty bach yn Tir newydd yn Y Maerdy by Y Fenni
the bore was cool; in pocket, notes and cash, but not a penny

going down the hill, my shoes plodding on the tarmac of the heol
going past the gorsaf Esso, where they also sell chocolate and engine oil

I turned by Stryd Mynach, into some heol I don’t know the name of
where I hum the complete works of Glasunov y Rachmaninov y Rimsky-Korsakov;

then, past the Afon Gavenni, onto the Heol Tryfynwy
where I said to myself ‘da boch chi.’

I got to the Gorsaf drenau just as the tren was going out of there;
I swore to myself in the cool early bore air.

After a long wait on platform two, there came the Casnewydd train
I got on it, and then had another wait for the one to Reading and Llundain;

after a few discreet swigs of home-blended ffodcca y tonicciau
waiting until the aforementioned tren came by;

we went over the Afon, in the warming early bore sun
yr alcohol kicks in, blended ratio of vodka four, the other, one.

on the train, I ate my bara ffrenc (aka ‘baguette’) with cig hen
I spent about one hour and ten minutes on this tren;

at dinas Reading, I caught a bws to Heathrow Maes Awyr
where, after Passportiau Controliau, I caught another bws to the aeroplane fawr;

it was a Boeing wyth-pedwar-wyth
the captain was an Indian from Malaysia,
not an Indian from Penrith, Earith, or Hammersmith

where, everyone, including me
got on the aircraft; da boch chi.

Marciauiothiau
Contentiau 1/10
Iaith 0/10
Aestheticiaeith 1/10
Totalethiaur 2/30 E- Fail-y-complettau

Examiner’s comments.

Interesting, shows talent and imagination.
I am pleased to offer you a place on the Welsh language course for parents of kindergarten children, beginning in January. Monday and Friday nights 8 30 to 11 30 Torfaen Borough Council Tax Office (wear warm clothing) Course Fee (payable in full, in advance) £3225.00