Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Johann Pachelbel

C major

Tonight I played - no, no, do not laugh or mock - Pachelbel, with Rhiannon.
She got the music from amongst the horde of music book-array-in-uproar;

G major

I know the sequence, played tonic triads with the bass, in fugue and canon.
She played the melody in a sort of quiet, tropical equilibrium, to bore

A minor

through into the warm, inert night air; then, at a later time, the song begins to appear...
‘Oh, the bird, pretty bird, will you sing for now, will you sing, just a petite melody’,

E minor

quivering in crotchets and semiquavers, increasing in tempo and tear.
The mathematics book; linear equations, ratio, proportion; you don’t know, you told me.

F major

Neither do I in entirety, sweetheart; then we went through the book, with care
in explanation, trying to make sure you have good grasp of the work that you must know

C major

to prepare for your life in the out-reaching world, open and often tough there,
that we wait for, but I know that with chess, piano, now clarinet, you can grow.

F major

At the back, we talked about the problems; your knowledge now rich in growth and hue.
I got my beer from the fridge, happy in the knowledge you came to me to talk, to try

G major

to impart an element of your learning life, to tell me the things that are important to you.
Then Henry came to ask me about a Lego cruiser in the Star Wars fleet he wants to buy.

Coda

He went to bed; in binti room, glued to a TV, unseen, unthinking, Mum asleep.